The collection of the State Hermitage includes more than three million works of art and artifacts from around the world. Among them are paintings, graphic works, sculptures and works of applied art, archaeological finds and numismatic material.
The main architectural ensemble of the Hermitage situated in the centre of St. Petersburg consists of the Winter Palace, the former state residence of the Russian emperors, the buildings of the Small, Old (Great) and New Hermitages, the Hermitage Theatre and the Auxiliary House. The museum complex also includes the Menshikov Palace and the Eastern Wing of the General Staff Building, the Staraya Derevnya Restoration and Storage Centre and the Museum of the Imperial Porcelain Factory.
The Church of Our Saviour on Spilled Blood
This marvelous traditional Russian-style church was built on the spot where Emperor Alexander II was assassinated in March 1881. After assuming power in 1855 in the wake of Russia's disastrous defeat in the Crimean War against Britain, France and Turkey, Alexander II initiated a number of reforms. In 1861, he freed the Russian serfs (peasants, who were practically enslaved by their owners) from their ties to their masters and undertook a rigorous program of military, judicial and urban reforms never before attempted in Russia. However, during the second half of his reign, Alexander II grew wary of the dangers that arose as consequence of his system of reforms, having only barely survived a series of attempts on his life, including an explosion in the Winter Palace and the derailment of a train. Alexander II was finally assassinated in 1881 by a group of revolutionaries who threw a bomb at his royal carriage.
Saint Isaac's Cathedral
Saint Isaac's Cathedral or Isaakievskiy Sobor (Russian: Исаакиевский Собор) in Saint Petersburg, Russia is the largest Russian Orthodox cathedral (sobor) in the city. It is dedicated to Saint Isaac of Dalmatia, a patron saint of Peter the Great, who had been born on the saint's feast day.
The Kunstkamera was the first museum in Russia. Established by Peter the Great and completed in 1727, the Kunstkammer Building houses the Peter the Great Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography, with a collection of almost 2,000,000 items. It is located on the Universitetskaya Embankment in Saint Petersburg, facing the Winter Palace.
The Peter and Paul Fortress
When Peter the Great re-claimed the lands along the Neva River in 1703, he decided to build a fort to protect the area from possible attack by Swedish military forces. The fortress was founded on a small island in the Neva delta on May 27, 1703 (May 16 according to the old calendar) and that day became the birthday of the city of St Petersburg. The Swedes were defeated before the fortress was even completed. Based on this history, from 1721 onwards, the fortress housed part of the city's garrison and rather notoriously served as a high security jail for political prisoners. Among the prison's first inmates was Peter's own rebellious son Alexei. Later, the list of famous prisoners grew to include Dostoyevsky, Gorky, Trotsky and Lenin's older brother, Alexander. Parts of the former jail are now open for public viewing.
One of the two surviving St. Petersburg residences of the monumentally wealthy Yusupov family, the Yusupov Palace on the Moika River is perhaps most famous as the scene of Grigory Rasputin's assassination and is one of the few aristocratic homes in the city to have retained many of its original interiors.
The land on which the palace is located, to the south of the historic centre close to the Mariinskiy Theatre, was originally the site of a wooden palace belonging to Tsarevna Praskovia Ivanovna, Peter the Great's niece. In the mid-18th century, the property was purchased by Count Peter Shuvalov. In 1770, his heir, Andrei Shuvalov, commissioned the French architect Jean-Baptiste Vallin de la Mothe, designer of the Small Hermitage, Gostiny Dvor and the Academy of Sciences, to build a new palace on the site. De la Mothe's building forms the basis of the palace that can still be seen today, although various additions and alterations were made by leading architects as the palace changed hands over the years.
Established by the decree of Emperor Nicholas II, the Russian Museum was the first state museum of Russian fine arts to be founded in the country. On March 19 (March 7, according to the Old State) 1898, the museum was opened to the public. Currently, the Russian museum houses an impressive and distinctive collection of artistic treasures and functions as a world-renowned restoration center and a respected institute for academic research. The Russian Museums also serves as one of Russia's foremost cultural and education centers and is the instructional center of the art museums of the Russian Federation, an organization which supervises the work of 260 art museums located throughout Russia.
In this former palace, visitors have the opportunity to walk through the apartment where Russia's greatest poetess, Anna Akhmatova, lived for almost 30 years. Photographs and artifacts from Akhmatova's difficult, tragic and fascinating life are on display, including collections of her poetry that never left the printing house and letters from her imprisoned lover. The museum also houses temporary exhibitions of other artists. Audio-guides are available in English, German and French; information in English about the displays are also available in each room of the museum free of charge.
The origins of St. Petersburg's Art-Center "Pushkinskaya-10" date back to 1989 when a group of independent artists and musicians occupied a condemned house located on Pushkinskaya Street. Endeavoring to establish a center of contemporary art, this group developed and officially registered the nongovernmental, nonprofit organization now known as The "Free Culture" Fellowship. With assistance from local city authorities to carry out necessary renovations and reconstruction of the building, the fellowship quite successfully realized their goal and founded the Art Center. In the past 21 years since its establishment, Art-Center "Pushkinskaya-10" has received worldwide recognition. The center is currently home to many art galleries, mini concert-squares, clubs and approximately 40 studios of artists and musicians. "Puskhinskaya-10" also opened the first museum of non-conformist art in Russia and houses a unique collection of "unofficial" art of the second half of the 19th century which had previously been unknown to a broad audience. Along with the regular participation of the artists of Art-Center "Pushkinskaya-10" in international art exhibits and festivals, "Pushkinskaya 10" presents contemporary, newsworthy art to the public and helps artists to accomplish their creative projects.
|Contacts:||Pushkinskaya Street, bld.10, of.1 (entrance from Ligovskii prospect, 53 through the archway)|
|Tel.||+7 (812) 764-53-71|
|Opening Hours:||The art-center is open Monday through Friday from 11:00-18:00.|