Being a vegetarian while living abroad can be difficult. Sometimes, it can feel like the only thing on the menu for you is a plate of Овощи гриль (grilled vegetables). But you need not worry if you’re living in Saint-Petersburg - the city is full of fantastic vegetarian (and even vegan) restaurants and cafes. All you have to do is find them!
If you’re a fan of Indian but are looking for meat-free options, you’ll love Auroville. This cafe offers plenty of Indian dishes - including Thali (a set of Indian delicacies) - as well as dishes of other cuisines, for example Latin American. The menu is very flexible and you’ll find that many dishes can be made vegan. What’s more, the cafe itself functions as an art space and live-music venue.
- Prices: Thali dishes 450-600 roubles. Other dishes around 200 roubles. Lunch deals 200-320 roubles.
- Address: Ulitsa Radishcheva, 5
- Nearest metro: Ploshad Vosstaniya
- Maps: https://yandex.ru/maps/-/CBU4RESHGB
- Website: https://vk.com/aurocafe
Supposedly the oldest vegetarian restaurant in the city, Botanika is a place of taste and class. You can find various dishes in this vegetarian haute cuisine restaurant: from vegan versions of Russian classics, to all-round favourites like pasta and sushi. The prices are a little higher than those you’ll find in a cafe, but you certainly won’t be disappointed by the quality of the food.
- Prices - First courses: 300-500 roubles. Mains: around 500 (some cheaper). Desserts and cakes: under 300.
- Address - Ulitsa Pestelya, 7.
- Nearest metro - Gostinii Dvor
- Maps - https://yandex.ru/maps/-/CBU4R8w9gA
- Website - http://botanika.spb.ru/
This place specialises in raw food and is great for those who want to find vegan versions of their favourite dishes. The menu includes classics such as pizza, pasta, and salads, as well as fresh fruit juices. The restaurant also has a buzzing social calendar – in the past, it’s hosted events such as ‘Chocolate Masterclasses’ and Salsa evenings.
- Prices - Pizza and pasta cost approx. 300 roubles (menu prices unavailable online).
- Address - Kuznechny pereulok, 6
- Nearest metro - Vladimirskaya
- Maps - https://yandex.ru/maps/-/CBU4R2RapA
- Website (Facebook) - https://www.facebook.com/rafamilyspb/
Although its interior is not very inviting, Falafel King offers very cheap falafel-filled dishes, as well as salads and soups for those who want something a little less heavy. This is the place to go for a lunch-on-the-go or a snack to fill you up on your way home from the bar.
- Prices - Very cheap - no dish is more than 170 roubles.
- Address - Zagorodny Prospekt, 22
- Nearest metro - Dostoevskaya
- Maps - https://yandex.ru/maps/-/CBU4VQHZLC
This chain is a cheap and cheerful option for vegetarians. From pan-Asian food to Indian dishes, you’ll be sure to find something that takes your fancy (and that won’t cost too much!). There are three different locations to choose from (note: the one on Kuibysheva is a self-service restaurant).
- Prices - Breakfast deals: 199 roubles each. Lunch deals: 199 roubles each. Hot dishes: all under 200 roubles.
- Address 1 - Naberezhnaya Reki Moiki, 30 (Maps: https://yandex.ru/maps/-/CBU4VRqv9B; Nearest metro: Admiralteiskaya)
- Address 2 - Millionnaya, 25 (Maps: https://yandex.ru/maps/-/CBU4VNa4pB; Nearest metro: Admiralteiskaya)
- Address 3 - Kuibysheva, 33 (Maps: https://yandex.ru/maps/-/CBU4VVvk2D; Nearest metro: Gorkovskaya)
- Website - http://t-most.ru/
A little more upmarket is Prana Bar. Their menu includes well-presented salads, soups, various garnishes, and main dishes like chickpea cutlets and pasta. The dessert menu is particularly pleasing to the eye. There are also plenty of vegan options.
- Prices - Dishes are no more than 500 roubles each.
- Address - Kazanskaya Ulitsa, 31
- Nearest metro - Sadovaya
- Maps - https://yandex.ru/maps/-/CBU4VKcc~B
- Website - http://www.pranabar.ru/
This cafe prides itself on its philosophy, asserting that it’s not just what you make, but how you make it, that matters. They use only fresh, natural, GMO-free products, and aim to uphold a harmonious atmosphere in both their restaurant and their kitchen. Their menu features vegetarian and vegan-friendly dishes, inspired by Indian and European cuisines. You can order soups, salads, main dishes like vegetarian lasagna, and desserts.
- Prices - All dishes under 500 roubles each.
- Address - Kazanskaya Ulitsa, 10
- Nearest metro - Nevsky Prospekt
- Maps - https://yandex.ru/maps/-/CBU4V8FIDC
- Website - http://samadevacafe.ru/
Rada and K
This self-servery offers an abundance of vegetarian (and even vegan) options. Many of its dishes are Indian-inspired (a common theme amongst vegetarian eateries, it would seem). If you’re a student, take your student card - according to their website, you can get a 10% discount.
- Price - All dishes under 500 roubles.
- Address - Gorokhovaya Ulitsa, 36
- Nearest metro - Sennaya Ploshad
- Maps - https://yandex.ru/maps/-/CBU4VPdx~C
- Website - http://rada-k.ru/
Many vegetarians and vegans will be quick to mention Ukrop as their go-to place to eat. Don’t be put off by the name (meaning ‘dill’ in Russian) - the restaurant has plenty of options, and not all come with that all-pervasive green garnish. You can find raw food, several vegan options, delicious vegan cakes, and fresh smoothies and juices. Check out their deals - from student discounts to lunch deals, there’s always something that they can offer to help you save money.
- Prices - Prices, as usual, fall under the 500 rouble mark. You can also get a 20% discount on dishes (weekdays 12:00-17:00 (although, best to check with the particular branch that you are visiting). A student discount of 10% is also available (although you can only use one of these deals at oncel).
- Address 1 - Malaya Konyushennaya ulitsa, 14 (Maps: https://yandex.ru/maps/-/CBU4ZISwDB; Nearest metro: Nevsky Prospekt)
- Address 2 - Ulitsa Marata, 23 (Maps: https://yandex.ru/maps/-/CBU4ZMrkcA; Nearest metro: Vladimirskaya)
- Address 3 - 7 liniya Vasilyevskogo Ostrova, 30 (Maps: https://yandex.ru/maps/-/CBU4ZQE9pD; Nearest Metro: Vasileostrovskaya)
- Address 4 - Ulitsa Vosstaniya, 47 (Maps: https://yandex.ru/maps/-/CBU4ZUeyXC; Nearest metro: Chernyshevskaya)
- Address 5 - Nevsky Prospekt, 88 (Maps: https://yandex.ru/maps/-/CBU4ZYGoPB; Nearest metro: Mayakovskaya)
- Website - http://www.cafe-ukrop.ru/en/
This burger place is no ordinary burger place. Adhering to the principles of Hare Krishna - a religious movement that bases itself on select Hindu scriptures - the restaurant only prepares food that is mentioned in the Holy Scriptures, meaning they do not cook with meat, fish, eggs, onion, garlic, vinegar, mushrooms or yeast. Yet, despite such drastic omissions, they come out with burgers that are very much pleasing to the eye (and lips!). You can even customise your burger to suit your own tastes. Definitely worth a visit if you’re a burger fan!
- Prices - Burgers: 230-255 roubles. Desserts: under 200 roubles. Other dishes: 300 roubles.
- Address 1 - Naberezhnaya Kanala Griboedova, 49 (Maps: https://yandex.ru/maps/-/CBUamXcmsA; Nearest metro: Sennaya Ploshad)
- Address 2 - Ulitsa Belinskogo, 9, 4th floor (Maps: https://yandex.ru/maps/-/CBUamTbWdA; Nearest metro: Gostinii Dvor)
- Website - https://vk.com/harekrishnacafe